Level the Playing Field
Opportunity Scholarships for Youth Sports
Removing barriers to promote greater diversity and inclusion in youth sports
for students in the Shaker Heights City School District.
Build SKILLS. Learn TEAMWORK. Have FUN.
Level the Playing Field hopes to ignite passions for sports in children at an early age and to build sports teams at every level that reflect our beautifully diverse Shaker community.
The Level the Playing Field Scholarship Fund supports:
- Student participation in any sports program offered through the City of Shaker Heights Recreation Department, Shaker Rocks, Master Marr’s Taekwon-do and more.
- Student participation in any of the various Shaker Youth Sports leagues at any recreation or travel level
Who can apply?
- Students enrolled in grades 1-12 in the Shaker Heights City School District
- Opportunities can take place during the school year or during the summer.
- This funding does not apply to private, one-to-one instruction in any sport.
- We cannot provide funding for transportation costs.
- Funding is limited. If approved, scholarships will generally be between $50 and $500. Students who qualify for free/reduced lunch may be eligible for additional funding.
Application, Notification, and Funding:
- Applications can be accepted at any time but must be received at least 1 month before program payment is due. Please apply as early as possible, especially for summer activities.
- Families will be notified of the status of the application within 2 weeks of applying.
- Funds will be issued directly to the program (or reimbursed to the parent/guardian with a receipt and proof of registration).
- At the completion of the activity, the student will be asked to provide a brief written reflection about their experience. We appreciate receiving photos as well, if available.
- Assistance may be available for equipment related to the sport for which the scholarship is received. Please indicate equipment needs on the application. We work with Dick’s Sporting Goods and Play It Again Sports to provide standard equipment for each sport.
- Pass it on! When the student outgrows sports equipment, we ask the family to hand it down to another student in their neighborhood free of charge or that they give it back to the sports program.
- Call 216-295-4329 or email firstname.lastname@example.org