Eight Selected for the 2019 Shaker Schools Alumni Hall of Fame
The newest class of the Shaker Schools Alumni Hall of Fame is comprised of eight men and women who have made significant contributions to the fields of health and medicine, law and justice, government, arts and culture, and athletics.
The 2019 Shaker Schools Alumni Hall of Fame inductees are:
- Nathan Clements, 1998, a talented cornerback who played 12 seasons in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills, San Francisco 49ers and Cincinnati Bengals and is an avid volunteer with numerous charitable organizations.
- Kristen VanValkenburg DeStigter, M.D., 1980, Chair of the Radiology Department at the University of Vermont Larner College of Medicine and founder of Imaging World, which provides life-saving ultrasound equipment to rural hospitals in Africa.
- Barbara Fisher, 1972, Executive Vice President of Scripted Entertainment for Reel One Entertainment, who has worked on Emmy-nominated productions for Hallmark Channel, Lifetime, and National Geographic.
- Lorna Hartling, 1983, a talented violist who was the first African-American musician to join the prestigious Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin.
- Eugenie “Genie” Kleinerman, M.D., 1967, Professor of Pediatrics at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas, who pioneered the use of a unique immunotherapy treatment for children with bone cancer which significantly decreased the mortality rate.
- James Levin, 1971, Founding Director of Cleveland Public Theatre, Gordon Square Arts District, and IngenuityFest, and a practicing attorney who launched Famicos Cares: Legal Works for underserved communities.
- Joshua Levy, 1990, co-founder of the Washington DC law firm Cunningham Levy Muse LLP, who assisted the Government of Rwanda in investigating the 1994 genocide against the Tutsi and represented Fusion GPS in congressional investigations related to Russia’s interference in the 2016 election.
- Thomas Modly, 1979, who serves as Under Secretary of the U.S. Navy, the second ranked official in the Department of the Navy, and has implemented major reforms to naval education and the management of information technology.
Shaker School Alumni Hall of Fame Dinner
Saturday, October 12, 2019, 6:30 pm, Shaker Heights Country Club, 3300 Courtland Boulevard
Tickets are $65 person and must be reserved by October 4.
The inductees will be introduced at a special Hall of Fame assembly at Shaker Heights High School on Friday, October 11, where they will share with current students how their Shaker Schools experience has impacted their success.
On Saturday, October 12, the eight will be honored at a dinner and induction ceremony at Shaker Heights Country Club, beginning at 6:30 p.m. The celebration is open to the public. Tickets can be purchased online for $65/ person. We hope to see you there!
The eight inductees join the 290 graduates who have been inducted in the Shaker Schools Alumni Hall of Fame since it was established in 1986, representing excellence and achievement in all walks of life, including business, medicine, law, education, the fine and performing arts, government, and public service, among other pursuits. A complete list of members can be seen here.
The Shaker Schools Foundation Alumni Committee selected the accomplished graduates from a large pool of nominations gathered from the community at large. To be considered, alumni must be distinguished in their field of endeavor, make significant contributions to the community, and serve as positive role models to current students.
Class of 1985 Reunion
Reunions – Come Home to Shaker
Join your upcoming class reunion!
This year, we have upcoming reunions for the following graduating classes:
1959, 1964, 1969, 1974, 1979, 1984, 1989, 1994, 1999 and 2009. The Class of 1970 has plans for 2020!
Learn more about your specific class reunions and mark your calendars to come home to Shaker!
Do you want to get started planning your class reunion? Please send us an email.
David Pogue, Class of 1981
Congratulations to the Class of 2019!
Shaker Schools Alumni Giving Guide
Check out our new Shaker Schools Alumni Giving Guide! Through philanthropic support from our community, the Shaker Schools Foundation will continue to support the extraordinary work of Shaker Heights City Schools. Together, we can give every child access to a great education and a bright future!
Share your News
Are you a Shaker graduate or do you know a Shaker graduate whose story would be interesting to others?
Email us with his/her name, brief story and contact information so we may reach out to learn more.
Shaker Alum Author?
Have you published a book or know of a Shaker Alum who has?
The Shaker Heights High School Library and the Shaker Heights Public Library want to share
your books with our Shaker students and friends. Please email us if you are interested in sharing your book(s) with us!
Read Our Newsletter
Host A Shaker Event
Learn how you can connect with other Shaker alumni in your city!
Just send an email to share your interest and we will make it happen.
2018 Shaker Alumni Hall of Fame Inductees
Help the Shaker Schools Foundation
Help shape the future with your contributions and talents! The Shaker Schools Foundation needs you!