BEYOND THE DESK FUND
Extracurricular Opportunity Scholarships for Shaker Students
Promoting equitable access to opportunities for educational growth for Shaker students.
What do you want to LEARN? What do you want to DO? Who do you want to BE?
The Shaker Schools Foundation has established an opportunity assistance fund to encourage students in the Shaker schools to explore potential passions in our community and beyond. This Fund aims to increase access to educational activities to a broader group of Shaker students for:
- Learning opportunities with a STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) focus; literacy, language, visual or performing arts focus; leadership; social-emotional learning focus; and much more.
- In-person or virtual group classes; seminars and training programs offered by colleges, businesses, educational and non-profit organizations; and conferences or competitions.
Who can apply?
- Students enrolled in grades 1-12 in the Shaker Heights City School District
- Scholarships can apply to a single class or event. Scholarships can also apply to multiple sessions (such as a multi-week language class or coding class, or a specialty camp). Unfortunately, we cannot provide funds for transportation costs.
- Opportunities can take place during the school year or during the summer.
- This funding does not apply to private, one-to-one instruction in any area, or for any sports activities.
- For information about limited funding available for private music instruction, please email SSF at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For information about sports opportunities available through Level the Playing Field Fund, please email us at email@example.com or visit our website.
- Funding is limited. If approved, scholarships will generally be between $50 and $500, with a maximum of $1,000. Students who qualify for free/reduced lunch may be eligible for additional funding (up to 80% of the total cost of the activity or up to $1,500).
Application, Notification, and Funding:
- Applications can be accepted any time, but must be received at least 1 month before program payment is due. Please apply as early as possible, especially for summer activities.
- Students will be notified within 2 weeks of applying.
- Funds will be issued directly to the program (or reimbursed to the parent/guardian with a receipt and proof of enrollment).
- At the completion of the activity, the student will be asked to provide a brief written reflection about their experience.
Priority will be given to:
- African American, LatinX/Hispanic, Native American students
- Girls applying to participate in STEM activities
- Students with physical disabilities or special education needs
- Students from the Lomond, Ludlow, Moreland or Boulevard neighborhoods
- Call 216-295-4329 or email firstname.lastname@example.org